Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homestay Weekend

Homestay weekend was a doozy! It was quite a trial to speak in Spanish all weekend long and I commend those of my loved ones (Anja, Mark) for doing it all semester. Wow.

We left 8am for a lengthy 5 hour car ride up north to a relative's 50th wedding anniversary. On our way we passed Lake Arenal (where we are going this weekend) and Arenal Volcano. SO beautiful. I can't wait to visit this coming weekend. Around lunch time we stopped in a little pueblo for some typical Tico food and the lunch joint was right next to a big soccer field. I conveniently brought my Frisbee and we all tossed the disc together while waiting for food. The whole family was impressed with the accuracy and length of my throws. I felt super pumped to teach them and they were fast learners! I was with Luis Gerardo (LG), his mom, his uncle, and his aunt. It was a tight car ride, but we got to know each other quickly. Finally when we got to our destination, we could see Lake Nicaragua from our porch. That was cool.

That evening we went to the celebration. First there was a quick service at the church and then everyone (about 150 people) headed over to the community center. It started pouring down way on our walk over so we had to book it fast. When we got in there were tons of tables with anniversary decorations and a main table with a gorgeous big cake. We all took our seats and there was a procession of the "wedding" party. Once the celebrations began, the large marimba band started to play salsa music. There were two men playing the marimba at once with interlocking playing patterns. It was great to watch and listen. Then, the elderly couple celebrating their anniversary went to have a wedding salsa alone on the dance floor, meanwhile, all of the guests took turns coming up and clothes pinning cash to their clothes! It was such a crazy tradition, but it is apparently common here. The old couple was salsaing while covered in cash!

The next morning, we left for another long car ride back to Atenas and stopped for brunch at a cousin's house along the way. 20 people all speaking loud, fast Spanish at once. That was the hardest part of the homestay for sure. Couldn't understand a thing. Oh well. I am definitely improving my capacity to understand and hear Spanish. When we finally arrived at the house, LG gave me a tour of his grandfather's farm. They had an old well, coffee plants, lime and lemon trees, and a small river with a 30 ft waterfall in his backyard. It was refreshing to get out and hike around.  I came back to the center right before dinner and I was pooped. Exhausted and overwhelmed  I gladly went to bed early. It was a rewarding but tiring experience and from the sounds of other student's homestay experiences, Ticos are always with tons of family and doing crazy things! The weekend was nice but I am glad to be living here.

This week has been full of midterms, which is actually pretty relaxing. I've had plenty of time to study pool-side in my bikini and soaking up the rays. Feels like spring frolics for a whole semester. Pura Vida. Now I'm off to study for our final exam and pack for visiting the Volcano, hot springs, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment