Sunday, February 12, 2012

Monteverde and Good News

Monteverde and Sunday:

1. Ate lunch at the continental divide. We could see the Pacific and Caribbean slopes from our lunch spot. Being at the top was so neat because all of the clouds are so close and move really quickly.
2. Hiked across a 200ft high suspension bridge for canopy observation.
3. Performed our first field experiment on the male/female flower sex ratio of begonias. It was nice to just be in the forest and not in a huge group. Julie (goes to Bates, plays on the frizz team, is awesome) and I had a fun time chatting, attempting to navigate the steep slopes that held our plants, and having a photo shoot on the suspension bridge.
4. Bought cheese! YES cheese, I love thee.
5. Put up the pictures from last week on facebook. I'll try to get the ones from Monteverde up soon.
6. Watched Planet Earth today and just slept and relaxed. Very nice.
7. Got to chat with my lovely roomie and parents. Its awesome being here, but I do miss Davidson and the fam.

Funny thing:

1. A couple of girls on the program still bring their makeup and hair straighteners to all of our field trips. Because its not like we are going on hikes in the tropical rainforest or anything. You've gotta look your best for all those birds, trees, and epiphytes...

Good news:

1. Got the Davidson Research Initiative grant for this summer's research with Dr. Paradise! Yay insects!
2. Dad bought me a sage green Subaru Forester, lightly used, primo condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's going to pick it up in Cleveland this weekend. So pumped, I finally get a car! And it is just what I wanted!
3. We are going to the Poas Volcano this coming weekend and its gonna be awesomesauce.

3 comments:

  1. This is so full of adventure... I need to find some intense background music with which to enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi cutie, glad you are having fun!!! You should call me again and I promise I won't be so sleepy. I've been torturing myself by looking at beautiful canyon pics... itching to go out west. Plan something for us, you Costa Rican mama? I can't wait to hear about your summer plans! Insects are the coolest! (My eight year old self cant even believe I just said that). I am going to make you read this one book about ants that was great. Also I'm getting my EMT cert this summer at your recommendation! Also, I should have just emailed you this. Love.

    ReplyDelete